3 TV Histories to Sink Your Teeth into This New Year

09:59:00

I love reading history, but as I do so much of it for my degree I often find myself reluctant to read it in my spare time. Yet this new year there seems to be many new history-based dramas coming to our screens, all of which will give me the opportunity to broaden my horizons without having to digest more literature than I already am.

So here's my 3 picks of dramas worth watching, both old and new, along with a related book which you may want to read if you find yourself inspired!

1. War and Peace, Sundays 9pm, BBC One (six episodes).

Like many I have never read Tolstoy's War and Peace; its seriously long and whilst I own the book, I've never had the patience! But this adaptation is only 6 hours long altogether, and is broken down into manageable 1 hour episodes, so I'm definitely giving it a go. Set in 1805 after Napoleon's invasion of Austria, the story follows three main characters as they negotiate Russia's entrance into the war against France. Whilst it focuses on these three people, it shall certainly give a broad view of what Napoleonic war was like, and the ideology of Napoleon himself.

Give Napoleon The Great by Andrew Roberts a read if you fancy discovering more about Napoleon and his legacy.


War and Peace promo poster,
(found at http://www.finalreel.co.uk)
Napoleon the Great, by Andrew Roberts


   


















2. Deutschland 83, Sundays 9pm, Channel 4 (8 episodes).

I love German history dramas, particularly those relating to the Berlin Wall and the East German Communist regime. This probably has something to do with studying it during my German A Level and hearing stories first hand from my teacher. Deutschland 83 is a spy drama, focusing on one man's mission as an undercover Stasi spy in the West. And it's German with English subtitles, so watching this will be an education of two halves; history and language.

Photo from https://mrspeabodyinvestigates.files.wordpress.com

Pick up 1989 The Berlin Wall, My Part in it's Downfall by Peter Millar if you want to read more into life inside of East Germany and the eventual downfall of the East Communist Regime.

Read more about this at http://thoroughlymodernhistory.blogspot.co.uk/2014_01_01_archive.html
3. Downton Abbey, ITV, available on DVD and through streaming services, (6 seasons and various specials).

If you haven't heard of Downton Abbey by now, then where have you been? Having aired it's last episode on Christmas Day 2015, this show is a must see. Downton Abbey charts the life of both the residents and servants of Downton Abbey from the early 1900's, through WW1, until New Years Eve 1925. Whilst storylines and relationships in the show are created and exaggerated for the entertainment factor, this show does well at highlighting major poltical, social and cultural changes in the first half of the nineteenth century, including the decline in the service industry, aristocracy, and changing attitudes to women and class. It's a typical Sunday night drama, with a twist.

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey, by Countess Canarvon is a great easy read if you want to immerse yourself in the life of those who inspired Downton Abbey.

Downton Abbey 


Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey, by Countess Carnarvon
So that was just 3 of my picks for the new year. What are your recommendations? Have I missed anything fantastic? Let me know in the comments! 

Beth x

You Might Also Like

0 comments