The Reading Slump

09:22:00


As regular readers may have noticed, I haven't posted a book review at all this month. And if I'm being totally honest here, I haven't read a book from cover to cover either. Frustrating, right? This is by no means an elaborate apology letter to those of you who are missing my reviews, but more of a honest list of reasons why I seem to be incapable of enjoying a good read. Maybe getting it all out online will be cathartic and kick-start a summer read-a-thon? Lets hope so!

University Reading Lists Have Burnt Me Out!

I think I've read over 150 articles, book chapters and small books over the past two terms, on four topics of history. A huge reading list led to myself developing a read-because-I-have-to mentality, often skim reading and reading online summaries instead of enjoying a book. Reading became a 9-5 job for me, and after 2 4,000 word essays and 2 exams in a month, reading for pleasure became a chore.

My TBR Pile Is Out of Control!

I buy books as and when I see them, so I have a pile as tall as me to get through. I can never fully immerse myself in a read, as I'm always looking forward to the next one. But I never get to the next one, as I haven't finished the last. What a palava.

I'm Notoriously Slap Dash At Charging My Kindle!

Once an electronic has run out of juice, I don't charge it for days. I'm lazy like that. So my Kindle has been sitting on my shelf for about a month, crying out for that electric. The charger is next to it....

Gossip Girl Re-Runs and Sims 4 Have Wasted Many An Afternoon!

Chuck Bass and the gang have stolen my days away, so much so that I'm simply forgetting to read. Plus, controlling pixel people's lives is so much more exciting than your own sometimes . Ironically, my sims have probably read tonnes of books.

I'm a Busy Bee!

Volunteering has been crazy the past few days, what with important launches to staff and preview days to attend. And with the end of exams, I've actually had time to hang out with some friends. Reading hasn't got anything on ice creams on the esplanade with one of your closest friends!

What a load of excuses! But the first step to solving your problem is admitting you have one, right? I actually feel energised to go pick up a book and enjoy myself. So keep an eye out for those reviews in the coming months!

P.S. Would you like to see a post about my job as a volunteer? Let me know!

Beth x

You Might Also Like

0 comments