A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennesse Williams (Book #14)

10:28:00


“I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell truths. I tell what ought to be truth.” 

A Streetcar Named Desire has forever been on my TBR pile, but to be honest with you, I'd never really summoned the enthusiasm to give it a go. After my sister thrust into into my hands and told me that my feminist mind would love it, I read it in one sitting. Being a 104 page play, it really didn't take me long. But boy is there a lot to discuss.

The plot is complicated, so I'll see what I can coherently convey. Basically, Streetcar documents Blanche Dubois' visit to her sister's home in New Orleans. All the audience know about Blanche is that she appears to be quite well off but very lost. Over the course of the next few months, those around her question the truth about her past, and her identity. Stella's abusive husband Stanley, the wariest of them all, also fancies Blanche all to himself. See, I told you it was complex.

Tennessee Williams, much like John Steinbeck, really does dive into the depths of the American psyche; picking apart the American Dream, whilst subtly hinting towards well ingrained racial discrimination. Opinions towards rape, domestic abuse and female empowerment are also heavily explored, something which, (as my sister rightly predicted), was of great interest to me. This mixed with the vital role played by post-war mental health institutions made for a harrowing, yet supremely important read. 

If like me, you cautiously tip-toe around plays, or have mixed feelings regarding American literature, please read this marvel from cover to cover. You're eyes will be widened to the injustices of post-war America, a damaged society that isn't that far from the America we know today.

Beth x






You Might Also Like

0 comments