The Ladybird Book Of Mindfulness (Book #16)

09:23:00


"Sophie is concentrating on her breath. It smells like Frazzles. She says she has light for breakfast, air for lunch and love for supper, but Sophie has also secretly had some Frazzles."

I have seen the Ladybird Books for Adults in every bookshop, and have heard some rave reviews about just how funny, satirical and accurate they are. So I truly had high hopes for Jason Hazeley's Ladybird Book of Mindfulness. Unfortunately, it didn't quite live up to all its hype, but as this is a place for positivity, let's start with what I loved.

There's no denying that Hazeley's satirical take on the hype surrounding mindfulness was amusing. As someone who appreciates the sentiment, but cannot quite grasp its use, a little lighthearted poking of mindfulness was welcome. I also really loved the format of the book, it reads and looks exactly like the Ladybird books I read when I was teeny weeny. Just for a more adult audience, but it still took around 5 minutes to read from cover to cover.

However, some of the jokes went over my head (I'm such a innocent 19 year old...), and whilst the satire is great, I cannot help but think that those who successfully practice or rely on mindfulness have been stereotyped somewhat. As far as I can understand, mindfulness is about learning strategies to cope with your emotions and whatever the world throws at you - not just running around in fields, meditating and losing all control.

I would like to have a look at the other Ladybird Adult books on offer; the hangover edition looks pretty funny. If you want to pick one up, just be aware that you may come out the other side more offended than your 5 year old self.

Beth x

(Sidenote: it appears I skipped review #11 of my challenge, which was in fact Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell. Sorry!)

You Might Also Like

0 comments