Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (Book #12)

04:41:00


"You only get one life. It's actually your duty to live it as fully as possible."

Me Before You doesn't really need an elaborate introduction due to its critical acclaim and the impending release of its much anticipated movie adaptation. Small-town girl Louisa Clark finds herself employed as a carer to Will Traynor, a quadriplegic, who has effectively given up on life. Louisa finds out she has just six months to prove to Will that his life is worth living, hoping to stop him from ending his life through assisted suicide.

I have mixed feelings about this novel, mainly due to its authors insistence that is is a 'weepy'. Yes, Me Before You is a sad story, one that will leave you with questions about life and whether assisted suicide is morally right. But the novel didn't make me cry, and I am prone to a good cry. I instead found myself feeling content with the ending, not sad in the slightest. I am itching to elaborate upon this, but I really don't want to spoil the book for you all - that is if I haven't already, you've probably already twigged the ending.

Moyes also writes that Me Before You is a poignant romance novel, but I truly feel that the romance that blooms between Louisa and Will is secondary to the insight Moyes gives into the life of quadriplegics and their families. I learnt so much about a condition I knew so little about prior to this read, and that knowledge will certainly stay with me. I also learnt the importance of positivity and of living a full life - something I need to shake myself into doing on occasion!

Me Before You certainly entertained, educated and emotionally evoked me. For me, it wasn't the emotional roller coaster ride I had been promised, nor did it entirely live up to its critical acclaim - I was left slightly underwhelmed by the supporting cast of characters. None-the-less, this read was certainly worthwhile, and I shall definitely pick up the sequel.

Beth x





You Might Also Like

0 comments